Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sharing the Road; My Divvy Bike Experience

image is of a few bikes docked at a Divvy bike station

It’s been a year since I started Divvy, Chicago’s bike share program. At the time, I was looking for an easy, cheap, and quick way to go between UIC’s East and West Campus. Fortunately, the main buildings I went to had a station close by. The thing that sealed the deal was UIC’s Office of Sustainability then offered a $20 discount for students, too! So, that meant I could get a $55 for an unlimited, one-year membership. With a $7 day pass (now it’s gone up to $10), the one-year was a great deal.

My next big decision – what color helmet to get?! Done.

Some tips for new Divvy riders:
  •      Ride in 3rd gear;
  •    Download the Divvy app, which shows stations and full/empty status;
  •    Be mindful of pedestrians;
  •    Save the Divvy phone number in your cell;
  •    DO NOT ride your bike on the sidewalk, walk it – if needed;
  •    DO NOT ride on Sheridan Road;
  •    And, be mindful of your time.
I was pretty happy with Divvy during the school year. It definitely saved me time not using the bus, and it was fun riding a bike again. I hadn’t gotten on a bike since Germany.

Then, on June 1, Divvy significantly expanded their stations all the way to the north in Rogers Park! Very cool. There were two stations within two blocks from me.

The only thing that frustrates me is now the jockeying for road space. There’s cars, bikes, and foot traffic. Even with bike lanes, we all still need to look out for each other.

The other day, I was downtown, and I had just gotten on a Divvy. I walked it on the sidewalk and down to the street. The light was changing, but a pedestrian clearly thought he was going to walk in front of me, but couldn’t, since my bike was “in his way.” He gave me this look and motioned with his arms that “he was walking here.” However, I don’t see how, because there was traffic. He went behind me, then trying to still cross traffic against the light.

My first reaction was – what the hell? I was right, you were wrong. But, I tried not to let him ruin my summer, sunny day. He wasn’t worth it.

No comments: