Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A Day at the Race Tracks - Arlington Race Track

with the stadium seats to the left, the silver railing brings in the perspective while the horses come through the finish line


I’ve never really wanted to go to a racetrack before, but I had the chance to go, so I took it. Just getting to Arlington Race Track is a different experience, since you either have to drive or take the Metra (the suburban commuter line). Going from Ogilvie Station reminded me of my college days. There were still the blue, “pleather” (plastic and leather) seats that flip. The Weekend Pass had gone up from $5 to $8, but still not bad.

About one hour later from downtown, we reached the track and found our way around. I’ve never gone to other tracks so I can’t compare, but it seemed like the ones on TV. The private party had a tent, but also a patio and entryway to a grassy area where you could get fairly close to the track.

There’s a variety of races – almost one every fifteen minutes to keep people engaged. You could place a bet with a person or at a self-serve station. I didn’t place any bets. Guess I wasn’t feeling lucky.

The lush green grass was soft and a nice natural playground for the kids running back and forth. We joked that we should place bets on them. A cute little Asian girl in a summer dress and hair in pigtails stood out. She was with her dad.


It was fun, and would go back again if friends really wanted to. Otherwise, I can check it off my “Illinois’ Bucket List.” Go #6!

No comments: