Monday, July 27, 2015

Beach Day #6




Hot, humid Lake Michigan
Was before me
But this time
I was prepared

Walking up to the tent
The Aussie recognized me
"You're finally ready to do it?"
He asks

I smile back and say
"Yeah, it only took me three times
To think about it."
But, today was the day

Even though I could swim
I got a life vest
It hugged my chest
Tightly and securely

"Don't be afraid to fall in,
He said, "You probably will."
"It's fine,"
But I lied

I didn't want to fall in
Even though the water was much
Warmer than other days
I didn't want to - fail

He carried the board
To the lake for me
Offered some advice
Sit on your knees, then get on all fours - and stand

Sounded easy enough
But the lake was a bit choppy

At first I didn't think
I was getting anywhere
Was I going in a circle?
I began to have doubts

Eventually I made my way out
And decided it was time to try
And stand
Okay, you can do this

The width of the board
Was comforting
Plenty of room
I heard in my head, "Place feet here."

I began to stand
Wobbly, but upright
Paddle, damn it - he said it would be easier
When you kept paddling

I did
Wobble wobble
Left, right, left right
Crap, not going too well

For a few minutes
I was paddling
But then I sat back down
Licking my wounds a bit

But the summer heat and sun
Remained with me
I saw the lake shore from
A perspective I had never seen before

It was nice just being out

No comments: