Tuesday, February 9, 2016

When WE becomes ME

In block typeset letters, the word "we" is in gray metal

The WE is falling down the hill
as it falls the E turns circles as the W
rolls to try and catch up
sometimes it's EW and sometimes it's WE

What happens when a WE dissolves
and the W turns to an M
which then makes ME
from the plural to singular

It's been a WE situation for nearly 11 years
a rocky one but a good one too
I went from an I to a ME to a WE
But sometimes lost myself too

He would sometimes ask me
What order I put - me, him, and us
I would put us first, then, him, and me
ME last

I know better now
I know better that it has to be ME
Then, us
Then, him

He knew this already
And at times I was angry about
Him putting himself first
How dare he

I didn't want ME first
for him
but at least
put us first

I'm sad not to be a WE
I know there's a lot of social capital
that comes with a
WE

But I'm also just sad
not to have the spouse
and partner I thought I was going to have
for the rest of my life

As the letters continue to fall and roll
the WE, ME, EM, EW, WWWW, MMMM
EEEEEE
I hope they'll land softly and unbroken

No comments: