Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Gauntlet of Crossed Legs

an image in a subway car of four women who have their legs crossed in the aisle


You enter the train and make your decision to turn left or right. You decide, only to find yourself faced with what I call, the “Gauntlet of Crossed Legs.” Typically, the women who comprise this gauntlet are clueless, because they have earbuds in. Possibly one realizes how she’s taking up space, but the others remain.

In my head, I take a breath and give out a warrior yell – “Aiyeee!” Then, I rage through the crossed legs hitting them all with no apologies. Some may give a “gruff” or a look, but others continue about their ignorance and don’t seem to care about the bump.

But, in reality, I usually wind myself around – getting to the open seat or space.

Why do I get so pissed off about this?

I think it’s because 1) crossing your legs is so gendered in the US as female, and 2) the train is public, common space and usually crowded anyway. People – please be considerate of others and share the space! People putting their feet up on the seats or using more than one seat also gets my blood to a boil.

10 Ways Not to Look Like a Tourist on the CTA (or how not to be rude)

1. Walk and stand in the middle of the train
2. Get up one stop before you have to leave
3. Don’t put your feet on the seat
4. Take up only one seat
5. Don’t put on your make up on the train
6. If you have to eat or drink, then clean up after yourself
7. Know which side the doors are going to open; I know this can be confusing, because it does change
8. If using earbuds, still be able to hear others, when they say something to you
9. Don’t try and take a bike on the CTA during the rush hours

10. Uncross your legs when someone wants to pass, whether the train is crowded or not. It’s just being polite.

No comments: