Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stuff, stuff, and more stuff!

I now have about four medium-sized boxes that contain various papers, letter, award certificates, and of course photos from my past. All of my early years of 0-24 years of age can be found in these cardboard boxes that could usually contain any number of other things. It took two trips from my hometown to Chicago to bring these boxes back in my mom's van. Then, multiple trips up to our third floor apartment. I felt like an ant making the same route back and forth carrying four times my weight.

Boxes with various letters, papers, and memorabilia


Lately, I've felt a bit of remorse for not keeping some things. My old high chair I sat in for a few years. Some band sweatshirts. A piece of wooden furniture of Ma's.

But, I just didn't have room for these. And, I'm also reminded of my own philosophy I told Mom... keep the memories; not the stuff.

This Winter Break, I'm planning on going through the boxes and taking photographs or scanning the items. It will still be a huge project. I get caught up on reading every letter. Thinking back to that person and/or experience. Fond memories. Bad memories. Weird memories. Was I really that person almost 20 years ago? Sometimes I think - I should really look that person up and say, "hey." I actually did that to an old boyfriend a few weeks ago, and while it wasn't horrible, it wasn't what I had hoped either.

A small box of letters from college



Stuff is stuff is stuff.

Let things go for the new!

No comments: