Monday, November 12, 2012

Seasons Changing; So Do Clothes

It is definitely fall. I've already worn my "long janes" at least six times now. Earlier in October, I changed out my summer clothes with my winter clothes. They actually don't look that different, except my white, short sleeved t-shirts turn into my white, long sleeved t-shirts. Gray and black to follow suit. In fall and winter, I get to wear my 28x30 corduroy pants.

I always think as Chicagoans layer up for the winter (January-March), how the gendered aspect of clothing plays out. I've thought that we might become more gender-neutral as winter sets in, but then I see a fluffy pink winter coat. Or hats and mittens that are definitely "for girls."

Personally for me, I have a Land's End, medium, boy's coat that I bought at the end of their season. My hat and gloves are gender-neutral, and I'm sure they were bought on sale. I go for functionality first; fashion second. But that's just me.

No comments: