Saturday, August 11, 2007

To Be Cool or Not To Be Cool

By the end of June everyone has their A/C units in the window. Even if they don't get used, people arm themselves for the heat of the summer. For a couple of years I never had one. I would just tough it out with some fans. However, I finally broke down and got one unit after my partner wouldn't tolerate it as I did. Looking back, I don't know how I tolerated it.

I remember thinking the electric bill would be threw the roof, but it wasn't that bad.

This summer (now mid-August) we have two units and some days they have gone all day and almost into the night.

Now, I typically run cool, so in the A/C I have on a long-sleeved t-shirt and sweat pants. The comforter is on the bed from this winter. In the A/C it is so artificially cool. It's kind of weird. I think my comfort temp is 72 or 74, which is usually too warm for my partner's--- 66 or 68. However, back in the rest of the apartment is warm and humid. There's just not a good middle ground.

Sometimes I wonder what it will be like in the future (unless, of course, global warming is the end of us anyways). But in the summer, we all walk around in our individual cooling bubbles that could go on or off like a force field. We'll all be able to be "comfortable" without inconveniencing anyone else. Whoever invents this is going to make mega-bucks.

No comments: