Monday, August 20, 2007

The Courage of Love

Why is so difficult to tell someone you love the person? It should be a "good thing," right?! How can someone not like to hear that? But this idea of love and hurt is probably the number one topic in movies and books. It resonates with anyone. Across borders, countries, cultures, and languages.

A love story is a love story. And what if the person in love is in love with someone who cannot return the love in the manner s/he wants. That's another movie. That's an epic movie.

I want to tell my love that she can be safe with me. That I committed to her years ago when I first met her. That I love my current spouse in a totally different way, and it wouldn't be her fault if I separated. It's all on me.

Can I open this door even if I am 99% sure this is not what she wants. That I will be vulnerable and hurt, but at least I will know how she feels.

It's a gloomy day and she'll return home soon. We've gone the entire weekend visit without bringing it up. But I came to visit for this reason and even if I go home a bit tear-eyed I'll have done what I needed to do.

I need courage today. While I don't face weapons or the enemy (to say the least), I face hurt and wounds with no medic on hand.

No comments: