Friday, July 27, 2007

E.T. More than Just My Initials

So, I went to see a "Movie in the Park" with a friend tonight. We watched E.T. the Extra-terrestrial by Stephen Spielberg and music by John Williams. It was great. I hadn't seen it since I was 8 or 9 years old. I remembered most of the scenes, but definitely not the entire movie.

I expected a lot of kids and families to be around, but I also saw some 30-somethings, too without kids. What began as a hot and humid summer day in Chicago quickly turned cool and windy. I was chilled even though I had brought a long-sleeve and a sweater.

The film is definitely a kid-centered film with adult issues. I had forgotten how looming the "adult scientists" were- save for the mom. When seen in the beginning, they were always backlit and shadowed. We knew they were there, and that they had power. We never got to see their faces until they thought E.T. was dead and they took off their spaceman helmets.

The movie reminded me how cute little kid Drew Barrymore was... even though after watching E True Hollywood Stories she was doing drugs and alcohol all that time. There was also a glimpse of a boyish C. Thomas Howell.

As E.T. levitated Elliott's bike into the sky, I wished it would be that easy to go "home." I'm going to Vietnam in December. This will be my journey home, since I was adopted as a baby. If possible, would I let E.T. fly me over?!

This was a great movie to see--- again, and outdoors with popcorn and Reeses Pieces. As someone who grew up in the 80s, I laughed fondly at the fashion, the Star Wars toys, and the verbiage.

No comments: