Sunday, July 29, 2007

Black Guards in White Museums

Sometimes seeing through the "race lens" is extremely frustrating, but I can't help it. I always have my glasses on.

This summer, I've had a lot of extra time and have tried to go to as much free stuff in Chicago as possible. So far, I've gone to the free days of the Chicago History Museum, Museum of Contemporary Art, Art Institute of Chicago, Freedom Museum, and concerts at Millennium Park and Movies in the Park. It's been a blast.

However, while touring the various galleries at the Art Institute, race was overwhelmingly powerful. Every gallery security guard was African American. Now, I don't know what the museum would say it's racial/ethnic stats would be, but I would say predominantly white.

As I went from gallery to gallery, I observed the guards having to do their job, which was enforce rules. Rules like- no flash photography or you can't take photos here in this gallery [because it's not a permanent gallery by AIC]. Don't stand that close. Don't touch the sculpture. You need to use your cell phone in the hall. And many more. For some- these rules are natural and standard. For others, they think they are the guests and should be able to do whatever they want. They have that privilege.

I believe by the guards being mostly African American, the museum institution is positioning them to be perceived by the guests/visitors negatively. I mean, who likes to be corrected... especially in public?! Many of guards are African American women, and I can't help but fantasize that after standing on their feet all day during their two, split, part-time shifts (so not to be eligible for health insurance), they have to go home and continue to be the "law enforcers."

I wanted to ask them how they felt about their jobs. The stories they had.

I acknowledge in my own privileged position, who am I to judge the jobs they have? I'm not one. They have those jobs because they need them. Maybe they are short term? Maybe not. Am I saying that the museum should be more racially diverse? I don't know. I don't want the current folks to lose their jobs. The basic truth is- anyone of any race could do this job. But would they? Would anyone for part-time, low paying dollars and no upward potential do this work?

I'm reminded of the recent movie Night in the Museum where Ben Stiller plays a night guardsman at history museum. His other three colleagues- two white old men and one African American old man. So, Ben is white, but "down on his luck, divorced, and just needs the money." In the end, his character, of course, saves the day, and I believe his position at the museum looks promising [to be promoted]. This is the movies.

I'm going to look into some other articles if others have written about this. I don't see how they couldn't. So, the next time you go to a museum, sure... take a look at the items or pictures/paintings, but also look around you at who is guarding them.

No comments: