Sunday, February 10, 2013

A New Introduction to Eyebrow Threading and Nora

The other day I decided to treat myself to the one cosmetic act I do - getting my eyebrows waxed. I called this one place, but they were busy, so I decided to try Carmen's Beauty up in Rogers Park. They used to be located right at Loyola eL, but they moved to Sheridan and Pratt. Even better - as they were now closer. I called, and they were available.

On the snowy, but warmer day, I walked down.

"I called about eyebrow waxing," I said.

"Yes," the woman at the desk replied. She then said something in another language to a young girl standing near her.

I see the young woman get some supplies, and in a soft voice she says, "Follow me."

We go to a chair in the back, and I take off my winter outerwear.

"Sit back, please," she instructs. Then I realize exactly what she wants me to do.

"Waxing or threading?" she asks.

"I've never done threading," I say, "So, waxing."

"Okay, as you like."

I close my eyes as she puts on the warm wax. Then, patting on the light strips of fabric. I brace myself for the pull. But before this happens she says, "Be strong."

I try and tell her that I have a high tolerance for pain. That I can take it. Don't worry. She says, "You like pain?" I reply back, "No, it's okay."

Just when I feel like we're basically done, she asks about threading. I've seen it been done before, but never had it done to me, but I decide to give it a try. "Sure," I say. I close my eyes again, and I feel an odd sensation. It's a mix between being caught in a loom and tweezing.

After a few more minutes, she asks if I want to do... and she gestures above my lips. "Sure. What the hell, let's do it." I say. I feel like we're in this together.

Sometime during our time together, she introduces herself. Her name is Nora. I later learn she is studying early childhood education at Oakton Community College. I tell her that I know Oakton, and that it's a good school. Really nice. I say that I work at UIC, and she asks what I do there. I say I help students. That's my generic reply, when I don't feel like getting into the LGBTQ stuff.

I know we're coming to the end of the session as she asks if I want to have her lightly rub alcohol on the areas she worked on.

I give her my UIC e-mail with a note that I help college students, and feel free to write if she has any questions. I doubt she will, but I wanted to offer anyway.

No comments: